Somers Forge Statistics
Established in 1866, today Somers Forge has a reputation around the World for Forging and Engineering excellence.
From our manufacturing facility in Halesowen, right in the heart of the industrial Black Country, we operate a number of Forging Presses and Hammers which gives us a unique capability to manufacture components from as little as 1 Kg to 50 tonnes with lengths up to 23 Metres.
Our Machining and Engineering facilities compliment the range of forgings we produce offering Turning, Boring and 5 Axis milling which enables us to supply fully finished components ready for installation.
With continuous investment Somers combines the latest technology with traditional quality skills to compete in a diverse global market.
Quality Assurance is at the forefront of all manufacturing processes, the company operates under a quality management system accredited to AS9100 Rev C, BS EN 9100:2009 and ISO 9001:2008 ensuring our product is delivered Right First Time & On Time.
Somers Forge Ltd is highly mechanised and adopts the very latest steel forging techniques. Our range of equipment enables us to produce open die forgings from 1 kg to in excess of 50,000 kg in weight, with lengths of up to 23 meters.
Equipment we use
- 4,000 tonne draw down press equipped with two integrated manipulators
- 1,200 tonne four column push down press (computerised thickness control)
- 500 tonne four column push down press (computerised thickness control)
- 35 cwt hammer compliments (equipped with a manipulator)
Constant investment in this equipment enables Somers Forge Ltd to reduce energy costs and carbon emissions. Furnaces are approved to aerospace and nuclear standards. These qualifications enable us to forge a much diversified range of materials from basic carbon steels to high integrity nickel alloys.
Utilising 24 automatically controlled, gas fired furnaces Somers Forge Ltd employs the very latest steel heat treatment techniques.
All furnaces are surveyed to meet national and international specifications including a number calibrated to API 6A and Aerospace Standards. To accommodate our steel forging capabilities we are able to heat treat work pieces in excess of 23 meters in length.
Heat Treatments Provided Include
- Normalising and Annealing
- Oil and Water Hardening
- Tempering and Stress Relieving
Somers Forge Ltd has an exceptional machining facility which enables steel to be supplied either in the pre machined or completely finish machined condition ready for installation.
The finish machining and refurbishment of ships' Propulsion Shafts is one of our machining specialities, including the supply and fitting of reinforcing sleeves, bronze, stainless steel or nickel alloy liners and GRP coatings. Somers Forge Ltd are one of the few steel companies who have a complete in house facility enabling this scope of supply.
- Centre Lathes having a maximum capacity to offer CNC turning of shafts up to 23 mtrs in length and 1,500 mm diameter.
- CNC deep hole boring up to 20 mtrs deep performed in one direction. Bore diameters from 50 mm dia to 650 mm.
- Horizontal milling machine 13 mtrs bed length, 200 mm diameter spindle.
- 3 and 5 axis CNC milling / boring of work pieces up to 2,500 mm X 2,500 mm X 4,500 mm long.
- Vertical boring with a maximum table diameter of 3,000 mm.
- Complete subcontract machining service.
At Somers Forge Ltd quality control is foremost in the minds of all employees thus maintaining its International reputation for the highest in steel engineering principles..
Every order is processed strictly in accordance with the Somers Forge Ltd quality assurance procedure which is approved by all the leading third party surveying authorities. Accreditation to AS9100 REV.C/BS EN 9100:2009, ISO 9100:2008 assessed in accordance with EN 9104:P1.
To compliment the in house steel manufacturing facilities, Somers Forge have two steel stockholding facilities: Somers Steelstock housed in the Halesowen facilities and Somers Steel USA based in Westland, Mitchigan, USA. These facilities enable “off the shelf” deliveries of bar materials.
Somers Steelstock holds a range of black forged, heat treated, rectangular section die steel materials and black forged, round, normalised/annealed general engineering steels. The extensive steel heat treatment and steel machining facilities at Somers Forge enable steel to be supplied in any condition with speedy deliveries which is of particular importance when customers are faced with break down situations.
Somers Forge UK Stock
- Electem No. 5 ( DIN 1.2713), Somdie (DIN 1.2714)
- Bestem, Thermodie
- VMC (AISI H13).
General Engineering steels:
- BS → 070M20, 080A42, 070M55, 605M36, 655M13, 709M40, 722M24, 817M40, 826M31, 410S21
- DIN → C22, C45, C60, 42CrMo4, 34CrNiMo6, 30CrNiMo8
- AISI/SAE → 102, 1045, 1055, 4140, 4340, 4130, 8820, 8620, 8630, F6NM, 410
Somers Steel USA Stock
Somers Steel USA was established in 1983 to serve the US closed die forging industry with their die steel needs. The current warehouse holds well in excess of 1,000,000 lbs of the Somers branded die materials. Rectangular bars have pre-machined top and bottom faces, the Somers branded die steel are all pre machined to size.
- Electem No. 5 (DIN 1.2713)
- Somdie (DIN 1.2714)
Somers Forge Ltd (UK)
- Haywood Forge, Prospect Road
Halesowen, West Midlands
B62 8DZ, England
- Phone: +44 0121 585 5959
Fax: +44 0121 585 6699
- Email: email@example.com
Somers Steel (USA)
- 6221 Commerce Drive
- Phone: +1 734 729 3700 Fax: +1 734 729 4130
Toll-Free: +1 800 8542 2927
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org